We only collect information about you if we have a reason to do so. For example, to provide our Services, to communicate with you, or to make our Services better.
We collect information in three ways: 1) if and when you provide information to us, 2) automatically through operating our Services, and 3) from outside sources. The following section discuss the information that we collect.
Information You Provide Through Actions
It’s probably no surprise that information is collected when you provide information. The amount and type of information depends on the context. Here are some examples:
Email Signup: If you sign up for a newsletter you will share informaiton about yourself via the signup form, including your name and email address. Further information is collected when you interact with emails which are sent to you, for example, if you have opened the email to create aggregate statistics on the email open rate.
Transaction and Billing Information: If you buy an item you will provide personal and payment information that is required to process the transaction. This includes your name, credit card information, and contact information.
Information Collected Automatically
Some information is collected automatically:
Usage Information: Information about your usage of this website. For example, information about the actions users perform – in other words, what you did, when and to what thing on a site (e.g. a button click). Information is also collected about what happens when you use this Site (e.g., page views) along with information about your device (e.g., screen size, name of cellular network, and mobile device manufacturer). This information is used to gain insights on how people use this website, so it can be improved.
Location Information: The approximate location of your device from your IP address is used by our web analytics platform, Google Analytics. This information is used to, for example, calculate how many people visit this website from certain geographic regions.
Information from Cookies & Other Technologies: A cookie is a string of information that a website stores on a visitor’s computer, and that the visitor’s browser provides to the website each time the visitor returns. Cookies are set for the purposes of analytics to monitor and improve the performance of this website..
How and Why Your Information is Used
Purposes for Using Information
Information as mentioned above is used for the purposes listed below:
- To provide services on this website – for example, to enable the purchase of products;
- To further develop and improve this website – for example, by adding new sections, posts or books;
- To monitor and analyze trends and better understand how users interact with this website, which helps improve this website and make it easier to use;
- To measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition — for example, we may analyze how many individuals purchased a book after receiving a marketing message;
- To monitor and prevent any problems with this website, protect the security of this website, detect and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities, fight spam, and protect the rights and property of Kris Bolton and others, which may result in us declining a transaction or the use of this website;
- To communicate with you, for example through an email, about offers and promotions, and others we think will be of interest to you, solicit your feedback, or keep you up to date on relevant topics and products; and
Legal Bases for Collecting and Using Information
A note here for those in the European Union about the legal grounds for processing information about you under EU data protection laws. Your information is collected on the grounds that:
(1) The use is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation; or
(2) The use is necessary in order to protect your vital interests or those of another person; or
(3) there is a legitimate interest in using your information — for example, to provide and update this website, to improve this website so that users can be offered an even better user experience, to safeguard this website or Kris Bolton’s intillectual property, to communicate with you, to measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition, to monitor and prevent any problems with this website, and to personalize your experience; or
(4) You have given us your consent — for example before we place certain cookies on your device after an interaction.
How We Share Information
Information about you is shared in the limited circumstances outlined below:
Subsidiaries, Employees, and Independent Contractors: Information about you may be disclosed to subsidiaries, employees, and individuals who are independent contractors that need to know the information in order to help provide services used on this wesbite or to process the information on our behalf.
Third Party Vendors: Information about you may be shared with third party vendors who need to know information about you in order to provide their services used on this website. This group includes vendors that help us provide services to you (like payment providers that process your credit and debit card information, fraud prevention services that allow us to analyze fraudulent payment transactions), those that assist me with marketing efforts (e.g. by providing tools for identifying a specific marketing target group or improving marketing campaigns) and those that help me understand and enhance this website (like analytics providers).
Third part providers include:
- Plausible Analytics, a GDPR-compliant analytics provider.
- MailChimp, a email marketing platform.
- Patreon, providing purchasing services and access to restricted content.
Legal Requests: Information about you may be disclosed in response to a subpoena, court order, or other governmental request.
To Protect Rights, Property, and Others: Information about you may be disclosed when I believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of Kris Bolton, third parties, or the public at large. For example, if I have a good faith belief that there is an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury, we may disclose information related to the emergency without delay.
With Your Consent: We may share and disclose information with your consent or at your direction. For example, we may share your information with third parties with which you authorize us to do so, such as the social media services.
Aggregated or De-Identified Information: Information that has been aggregated or reasonably de-identified, so that the information could not reasonably be used to identify you. For instance, aggregate statistics about the use of this website, or products sold on the site may be published or hashed version (De-Identified and non-human readable) of your email address could be shared to facilitate customized ad campaigns on other platforms.
How Long We Keep Information
Information about you is discarded when it is no longer needed for the purposes for which we collect and use it — which are described in the section above.
You have several choices available when it comes to information about you:
Opt-Out of Electronic Communications: You may opt out of receiving promotional messages. Just follow the instructions in those messages.
Set Your Browser to Reject Cookies: This website does not set cookies automatically. However, third party services used (e.g. email or patreon) do set cookies. You can choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies before using these services, with the drawback that certain features may not function properly without the aid of cookies.
Do not interact with services: You may wish to not interact with services provided on this website. For example, signing up for email upates or accessing patreon.
Other Things You Should Know
This policy may change from time to time, prior notice is not required. Users are encouraged to frequently check this page for any changes.
The website administrator can be contacted by email: alt.krisb [at] gmail [dot] com.