Your privacy is important. This policy follows a few fundamental principles:
- This policy is written in plain English.
- Personal information is only stored for as long as there is a reason to keep it.
- The way your information is gathered, used, and shared is transparent.
- Your data is not sold.
We only collect information about you if we have a reason to do so–for example, to provide our Services, to communicate with you, or to make our Services better.
We collect information in three ways: if and when you provide information to us, automatically through operating our Services, and from outside sources. Let’s go over the information that we collect.
Information You Provide Through Actions
It’s probably no surprise that we collect information that you provide to us. The amount and type of information depends on the context and how we use the information. Here are some examples:
Email Signup: If you sign up for a newsletter you will share informaiton about yourself via the signup form.
Transaction and Billing Information: If you buy something from us –a book for example – you will provide additional personal and payment information that is required to process the transaction and your payment, such as your name, credit card information, and contact information.
Communications with Me: You may also provide information when you contact me via the contact page.
Information Collected Automatically
Some information is colled automatically:
Usage Information: Information about your usage of this website. For example, information about the actions users perform–in other words, what you did, when and to what thing on a site (e.g. a button click). We also collect information about what happens when you use our Services (e.g., page views) along with information about your device (e.g., screen size, name of cellular network, and mobile device manufacturer). We use this information to, for example, provide services to you, as well as get insights on how people use this website, so it can be improved.
Location Information: The approximate location of your device from your IP address, from within Google Analystics (your IP address remains hidden to me). This information is used to, for example, calculate how many people visit this website from certain geographic regions.
How and Why Your Information is Used
Purposes for Using Information
Information as mentioned above is used for the purposes listed below:
- To provide services on this website–for example, to charge you for any of our paid services (e.g. books), or provide essays and stories for your reading pleasure through Longreads;
- To further develop and improve this website–for example, by adding new sections, posts or books that I think users will enjoy;
- To monitor and analyze trends and better understand how users interact with this website, which helps improve this website and make it easier to use;
- To measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition — for example, we may analyze how many individuals purchased a book after receiving a marketing message;
- To monitor and prevent any problems with this website, protect the security of this website, detect and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities, fight spam, and protect the rights and property of Kris Bolton and others, which may result in us declining a transaction or the use of this website;
- To communicate with you, for example through an email, about offers and promotions, and others we think will be of interest to you, solicit your feedback, or keep you up to date on relevant topics and products; and
- To personalize your experience using this website, provide content recommendations, target marketing messages to groups of users, and serve relevant advertisements.
Legal Bases for Collecting and Using Information
A note here for those in the European Union about the legal grounds for processing information about you under EU data protection laws, which is that our use of your information is based on the grounds that:
(1) The use is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation; or
(2) The use is necessary in order to protect your vital interests or those of another person; or
(3) there is a legitimate interest in using your information — for example, to provide and update this website, to improve this website so that users can be offered an even better user experience, to safeguard this website or Kris Bolton’s intillectual property, to communicate with you, to measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition, to monitor and prevent any problems with this website, and to personalize your experience; or
(4) You have given us your consent — for example before we place certain cookies on your device after an interaction.
How We Share Information
Users private personal information is not sold.
Information about you is shared in the limited circumstances spelled out below and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
Subsidiaries, Employees, and Independent Contractors: Information about you may be disclosed to subsidiaries, employees, and individuals who are independent contractors that need to know the information in order to help provide services used on this wesbite or to process the information on our behalf.
Third Party Vendors: Information about you may be shared with third party vendors who need to know information about you in order to provide their services used on this website. This group includes vendors that help us provide services to you (like payment providers that process your credit and debit card information, fraud prevention services that allow us to analyze fraudulent payment transactions), those that assist me with marketing efforts (e.g. by providing tools for identifying a specific marketing target group or improving marketing campaigns), those that help me understand and enhance this website (like analytics providers), and companies that make products available on our websites, who may need information about you in order to, for example, provide technical or other support services to you.
Legal Requests: Information about you may be disclosed in response to a subpoena, court order, or other governmental request.
To Protect Rights, Property, and Others: Information about you may be disclosed when I believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of Kris Bolton, third parties, or the public at large. For example, if I have a good faith belief that there is an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury, we may disclose information related to the emergency without delay.
With Your Consent: We may share and disclose information with your consent or at your direction. For example, we may share your information with third parties with which you authorize us to do so, such as the social media services that you connect to your site through our Publicize feature.
Aggregated or De-Identified Information: Iinformation that has been aggregated or reasonably de-identified, so that the information could not reasonably be used to identify you. For instance, I may publish aggregate statistics about the use of this website and I may share a hashed version (De-Identified and non-human readable) of your email address to facilitate customized ad campaigns on other platforms.
How Long We Keep Information
Information about you is discarded when it is no longer needed for the purposes for which we collect and use it — which are described in the section above.
You have several choices available when it comes to information about you:
Opt-Out of Electronic Communications: You may opt out of receiving promotional messages from us. Just follow the instructions in those messages. If you opt out of promotional messages, we may still send you other messages, like those about your account and legal notices.
Set Your Browser to Reject Cookies: At this time, this website does not allow “do not track” signals due to its implementation. However, you can choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies before using this websites, with the drawback that certain features of this website may not function properly without the aid of cookies.
No Longer Use This Website: While it is not my desired outcome, if you do not agree to the use of your information as described above, the best way to stop the use is to stop using this website.
How to Contact the Website Administrator
Other Things You Should Know
Ads and Analytics Services Provided by Others